Monday, February 9, 2009

Time is flying!

I haven’t written in a while because I’ve been lazy, I guess. This Spanish lifestyle has really gotten to me. Since last time, I’ve just been going to school, of course, relaxing and trying to see as many places as possible.

Last weekend we went to Santillana del Mar, which is a medieval town about two hours from Oviedo that they call “the city of three lies” – it’s not holy, flat or near the sea, as its name suggests (“san,” “llana” and “mar”). It was really amazing – all of the ground was covered in stones:



And the landscape looked like the epitome of the phrase “rolling hills”!



First, we saw a torture museum, which was incredible and disturbing at the same time. It featured all types of torture devices from all different countries and explained what they did with them.





Then, we went to the caves of Altamira, which are famous for their cave paintings more than 1800 years ago. We had to walk 2 kilometers to get there! That is dedication! Unfortunately, we had to go to a museum with replicas of the caves because they no longer let people into the caves, so I couldn’t take any pictures. But the cave replicas looked real as anything! The guide explained what each painting was (many were of bisons, horses etc) and why the cavemen probably drew them. Then, in the museum part, there were all types of things to look at and facts about cavemen and how mankind has changed mentally and physically over the years. Very interesting stuff.

With any luck, this weekend I’ll be going to see some real caves right here in Asturias (the province where Oviedo is)! And, of course, if it’s possible I’ll take as many pictures as I can.

Also, ever hear of Carnaval, the huge party in Europe the week before Lent starts? Well, I happen to be attending Carnaval at the craziest location around: The Canary Islands! I am so excited, and that will be in about two weeks. So, many pictures from there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment