Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tomorrow is a New Day

Today is my last day in Madrid, and what a time in Madrid it was. My first time in Europe, I saw just about every historical place in and around the city of Madrid AND I was there to witness to first snow (that stuck) in 10 years! What a crazy week. And I learned so much! Did you know that the Spanish word "catedral" that came from Latin (and what we know as "cathedral") actually means "chair"? It referred to the chair of the archbishop's chair in the cathedral, and it was the most important part. So that's how we got words like "Catholic" and "Catholicism."






Anyway, it was one of the best experiences of my life. Today we went to Avila and Segovia, which are about 50 miles outside of Madrid. Avila the first walled city and was used as fortification in medieval times. It was built in the '60s -- the '60s A.D., that is. It's the most preserved wall in all the world. It was amazing!

So wish me luck for meeting my family tomorrow -- I have no idea what they're like or whether they have Internet, but I'll update as soon as possible!

Buenos noches,
Carlene

No comments:

Post a Comment